Bonnaroo 2018: Thursday

SUN RISES 5:28 A.M. SETS 7:58 P.M.
High Temp:  86°F Low Temp:  61°F


It's a beautiful morning to start a festival!

We have breakfast at the campsite. Besides coffee, I nibble on some mozzarella cheese, blueberries, a banana and a small cup of granola. I hit the volunteer shower, which is exactly the same as any other campground shower except it's free.

The ShelterBox Team is ready and I'm at the tent when the gates open. Little by little people pour into the field and fill the space. Lots of folks wander through Planet Roo. A few come and find me. Lots of people want to know more about the tent. I hand out a lot of high fives.

Post volunteer shift, I'm hungry and looking for a hearty dinner option. Meat + three. That's what the booth is called, close to Hamaggdeon, 'Meat + three'. I get brisket with collard greens, baked beans and corn bread. I'll be honest, it was so flipping good that I had it each day for dinner.

My first music act of 2018 was Ron Gallo.
I didn't know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised to hear some rock and roll riffs. I was into the whole set. Ron Gallo is in full rotation in my Spotify playlists. Thank you for that, Bonnaroo.

Lissie was next on the list. She's a bit folky for me but she's fun and good with the crowd. I was moved by her rendition of Kid Cudi's Pursuit of Happiness in her encore. So good.

Other acts:
Justin Jay's Fantastic Voyage - Fun, energetic. I danced.
Durand Jones and the Indications - Wow. Great act with a real James Brown vibe and solid stage presence. It was a groovy set list that I didn't expect but wasn't surprised to find. I noodle danced appropriately.
Spafford - Jam it, man! My first time getting Spaffed. They were great.
R.LUM.R - Props to the guy from Bradenton! #srq
Pigeons Playing Ping Pong - I was told to stay up for this band and it was, indeed, worth it.

Bonnaroo Chris at the ShelterBox display in Centeroo - Bonnaroo 2018
Bonnaroo 2018 begins!

Bonnaroo Chris with A Loophole to Reality! at Bonnaroo 2018
Bonnaroo Chris with A Loophole to Reality!

Ron Gallo at Bonnaroo 2018
Ron Gallo

Honey I'm Home - Bonnaroo 2018
'Honey I'm Home'

Thursday night sunset - Bonnaroo 2018
Thursday night sunset

Christmas Barn bubbles - Bonnaroo 2018
Christmas Barn bubbles

The Other - Bonnaroo 2018
The Other

View from the What viewing platform (the arch is just left of center)


Durand Jones and the Indications at Bonnaroo 2018
Durand Jones and the Indications

Pigeons Playing Ping Pong at Bonnaroo 2018
Pigeons Playing Ping Pong


Late night Bonnaroo is just magical.