Bonnaroo 2014: Thursday

SUN RISES 5:28 A.M. SETS 8:00 P.M.  
High Temp: 88°F Low Temp: 64°F

Bonnaroo Chris and a member of the Bonnaroo staff

It's the first day of Roo!

I'm at the ShelterBox tent at 9 am eager to get the party underway. The gates open at 10 am and in come the flood of humans. It is quite a sight to watch.

It wasn't long before people started finding me at the tent. From all corners of the globe and in all states of sobriety, folks tracked me down. From this point, everywhere I went during the day, I was spotted and sought out. I tell everyone the story of ShelterBox and hand out goodies like stickers, wristbands, brochures and temporary tattoos.

Temporary ShelterBox tattoo, Bonnaroo 2014
Temporary ShelterBox tattoo, Bonnaroo 2014

ShelterBox Tent tour, Bonnaroo 2014
ShelterBox Tent tour, Bonnaroo 2014

Bonnaroo Arch 2014
Bonnaroo Arch 2014

I took a break to catch the Inforoo meetup at the B'rooers Festival.

B'rooers Festival, Bonnaroo 2014
B'rooers Festival, Bonnaroo 2014

Some of the folks from Inforoo, Bonnaroo 2014
Some of the folks from Inforoo, Bonnaroo 2014

Bonnaroo Chris and Denette, 2014
Bonnaroo Chris and Denette, 2014


Glazed doughnut from The Amish Baking Co at Bonnaroo 2014
Glazed doughnut from The Amish Baking Co at Bonnaroo 2014

Bonnaroo bodypaint 2014
Bonnaroo body painting 2014

Keep Calm and Don't Forget to be Awesome, Bonnaroo 2014
Keep Calm and Don't Forget to be Awesome, Bonnaroo 2014

I also made time to get a freshly glazed doughnut from The Amish Baking Co because they are outrageously fricking good. I might have diabetes from eating it but I don't care. Also, those Amish folks are from the city in which I live so I asked the guy at the counter how many employees they have so I may leave a sticker for each of them. "50", he said. So, that's what I left. And a quick stop to the Ford Garage for a bandanna filled with ice. And ... another quick stop to purchase goodies from Third Man Records.

Ford Garage bandanna & ice, Bonnaroo 2014
Ford Garage bandanna & ice, Bonnaroo 2014

Bonnaroovians 2014
Bonnaroovians 2014

Bonnaroo Fountain 2014
Bonnaroo Fountain 2014

Bonnaroo Chris and a couple from Australia, 2014
Bonnaroo Chris and a couple from Australia, 2014

During a dinner break, I got a quesadilla and began shoving it into my face when an Australian couple found me and introduced themselves. Fans of the festival and of me all the way from 'down under!

Got to hear some Omar Souleyman, (who I saw previously in 2011 at The Other Tent), and he was thumping along just fine.

Flair, Bonnaroo 2014
Flair, Bonnaroo 2014

By 11:30 pm, I was ready for some rock and roll and J Roddy Walston & The Business got to it under This Tent. The sound was great!

Setlist: Sweat Shock; I Don't Wanna Hear It; Tear Jerk; Take It As It Comes; Don't Break The Needle; Brave Man's Death; Heavy Bells; Marigold; same days/hard times; going out/lucille/caroline; Use Your Language; Midnight Cry; Used To Did

 J Roddy Walston & The Business, Bonnaroo 2014
 J Roddy Walston & The Business, Bonnaroo 2014

Bonnaroo 2014 Jazz Parade
Bonnaroo 2014 Jazz Parade

Bonnaroo 2014 Jazz Parade
Near the end of the set, I made my way back and was swept into a surprise jazz parade! Just so you know, when you're caught in a parade, you must dance. It's a blast. Funny, I'm spotted by Ethan and Kelly, (who were the first to find me in 2013), so props for THAT and for finding me at night ... in a parade.

White Denim, Bonnaroo 2014
White Denim, Bonnaroo 2014

I catch some White Denim at the Other Tent, pretty good.

Setlist: Pretty Green; Corsicana Lemonade; River to Consider; Come Back; At the Farm; A Place to Start; Anvil Everything; I Changed My Mind; I Start to Run; Limited by Stature; At Night in Dreams; Mirrored and Reverse; Drug; Cheer Up / Blues Ending; WDA; All You Really Have to Do; Mess Your Hair Up

Bonnaroo Night, 2014
Bonnaroo Night, 2014

 And dream-walked back to my tent, misplacing my camera along the way ...