Bonnaroo 2010: Saturday

High Temp: 93.9°F Low Temp: 73°F

Bonnaroo Chris breakfast 2010
Bonnaroo Chris breakfast 2010

 6:30am. Time for a $7 shower. Then breakfast. And a brownie for dessert.

    The music didn't get cranked up again until mid afternoon, so we took it easy. The girls had some acupuncture therapy.

Bonnaroo acupuncture 2010
Bonnaroo acupuncture 2010

Bonnaroovians 2010
Bonnaroovians 2010

Bonnaroovians 2010

Around 2pm, Team Roo ventured in to see Norah Jones at the Which Stage. She has the sweetest voice and the crowd slowly fell under her spell.

Setlist: What Am I To You, Tell Yer Mamma,  Light as a Feather, Chasing Pirates, Even Though, Young Blood, It's Gonna Be, Cry, Cry, Cry,  I Wouldn't Need You, Sunrise, Sinkin' Soon, Barstool Blues, Come Away With Me,  Long Way Home, Strangers, Don't Know Why, Stuck, Bull Rider, Lonestar

Team Roo and Norah Jones 2010
 Imelda May, Bonnaroo 2010
Imelda May was a lucky find at the Sonic Stage. Got her cd. It's like the 50's meets girl power. Beautiful voice. Big personality.

Truth & Salvage Co, Bonnaroo 2010
On a recommendation from my friend, E-d, I checked out Truth & Salvage Co at the Troo Music Lounge. It was in a direct overlap with Norah Jones, but I got in close enough that it did not matter.
They were fricking awesome.

Raylon and I went to see Jimmy Cliff at the What Stage. "I Can See Clearly Now"

Jimmy Cliff, Bonnaroo 2010
Jimmy Cliff, Bonnaroo 2010
I got into the pit - it wasn't very crowded - about 30 ft from the singer.

Bonnaroo What Stage crowd 2010
Bonnaroo What Stage crowd 2010

Bonnaroo Bobblehead 2010
Bonnaroo Bobblehead 2010

Innovative environmental messaging, Bonnaroo 2010
Innovative environmental messaging, Bonnaroo 2010
The Dead Weather, Bonnaroo 2010
The Dead Weather, Bonnaroo 2010

    The Dead Weather came on at 6:00pm. Alison Mosshart oozes sexy even as she's all sweaty and leering over the stage. Plus, you have Jack White and company grooving and growling all over the place. Loved it.

Setlist: Forever My Queen (Pentagram cover);  60 Feet Tall,Hang You From the Heavens; You Just Can't Win (Them cover); So Far From Your Weapon, I Cut Like A Buffalo; No Horse, A Child of a Few Hours Is Burning To Death (cover), The Difference Between Us; I'm Mad, Hustle & Cuss, Die By the Drop; New Pony (Bob Dylan cover); Will There Be Enough Water?, Blue Blood Blues; I Can't Hear You, Treat Me Like Your Mother

Weezer, Bonnaroo 2010
Weezer, Bonnaroo 2010

I left The Dead Weather to check out Weezer. The sound at the Which stage was disappointing. I should have stayed at the Dead Weather.

Bonnaroo Crowd at Sunset 2010
Bonnaroo Crowd at Sunset 2010

Bonnaroo Feet 2010
Bonnaroo Feet 2010

Also apparent was how crowded Bonnaroo was this year. A dramatic increase in people from 2008. The crowd swelled. Despite the sound, I was still able to sing along. Weezer songs are pretty much made for that.

Setlist: Intro, Hash Pipe, Troublemaker, Undone (The Sweater Song), Surf Wax America, Wooly Mammoth, Trippin Down The Freeway ft/ Julia Nunes, Perfect Situation, Dope Nose, Say It Ain't So, Brian's Them, Can't Stop The Partying, (If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To, My Name Is Jonas, Beverly Hills
Encore: Hot for Teacher (Van Halen cover), Pork and Beans, Kids (MGMT cover), Poker Face [Lady Gaga cover)
Encore 2: Island in the Sun, Buddy Holly

Bonnaroo costumes and photobomb 2010
Bonnaroo costumes and photobomb 2010
What Stage Sunset 2010
What Stage Sunset 2010

Stevie Wonder was the unexpected hit of Bonnaroo for me. He came out in a white jumpsuit, playing a keytar. He had a huge band backing him up with all sorts of instruments. He dedicated a song to the US troops. He said he was excited to see Jay-Z perform. At one point he had all the girls singing "Awww beep beep," then the boys singing "bom bom bom bom-bom-bom." Then he combined them. Pretty cool.

 Stevie Wonder, Bonnaroo 2010
 Stevie Wonder, Bonnaroo 2010

Setlist: (partial) Master Blaster, Did I Hear You Say You Love Me, Higher Learning, Superstition, Uptight (Everything's Alright), Once in My Life, Don't You Worry About a Thing (instructing the crowd in call-and-response vocalizing), Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof Off the Sucker), Heard It Through the Grapevine, Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours, I Wish, Living for the City, Give Peace a Chance (John Lennon cover), A Time for Love

Raylon and I sat down for Stevie near this blanket. It didn't take long before we realized that it was abandoned. As the field began to fill with people and space grew more & more scarce, the blanket became our placeholder of sorts.

Bonnaroo blanket 2010
Bonnaroo blanket 2010

Funnier still, we straightened it out and put [trash] stuff on it to make it look occupied. We then watched the people who tried to not step on it, (about 80%), as well as the people who thoughtlessly stepped on it, (the other 20%). Raylon would look up and say "On the blanket? Really?" The people would look ashamed or not, depending on how long they had to stand there before the line moved. I would just crack up.

Jay Z, Bonnaroo 2010
Jay Z, Bonnaroo 2010

Two things I realized while watching Jay Z.

There are a sh*tload of people that know his songs word-for-word.
Jay Z is a master of his craft and his ability to rap is second only to his showmanship.

I spent most of the show waiting for Beyonce to notice me. [Biggest let down since high school]

He offered a lot of love to the crowd. He ended his first song with line something like, "and wait til I tell my mama that Stevie Wonder stayed to check out my set." A few songs later he said, "Give it up for the genius of Stevie Wonder."

Clutch, The Other Tent, Bonnaroo 2010
Clutch, The Other Tent, Bonnaroo 2010

Clutch, Bonnaroo 2010
Clutch, Bonnaroo 2010

Clutch came out at 12:30 am and they rocked. (They were the first band I saw at my first ROO in '07). And did I mention that Bonnaroo was serving Magic Hat #9? Perfect. I was thirsty.

Clutch takes no prisoners. At one point, techno from the Lunar Stage overlapped the stage. Neil smoothly told the crowd, "Drown it out." We obliged. They exploded into action. Only complaint: The Lunar Stage and Troo Music Lounge are both directly in the path's of bigger stages. Extremely distracting. Please fix.

Clutch kicked my ass. Had to go back to the tent. Too much #9 and my feet were pissed off. Sadly, I missed GWAR.