5 Favorite Bonnaroo Moments

I'm always asked "What is/was your favorite Bonnaroo show?" It's really impossible to answer given that I've been to the festival many times, seeing 20 or more acts each time. I'm a huge fan of the band Clutch because they were the first band I saw at my first Bonnaroo. But does it warrant being in the top 5? The choices get really hard, really fast. So instead, I've picked five different years and will offer my inspirations from each.

Ready?


2007:
The White Stripes
This slot could easily be filled with either TOOL or The Police. They were both epic and unforgettable sets during my first visit to the farm. But there was something about watching a hazy sunset on Sunday, with Jack and Meg jamming at the Which Stage, that seemed like a perfectly picturesque ending to such a beautiful experience. My love for all things Jack was cemented here so it's on the list. Read about my 2007 experience HERE.



2008:
Pearl Jam
For three hours, the band delivered terrific rock & roll. Sure, Eddie had a few rants from a half-drunk wine bottle but that's his style. We were into it. Closing the night with "All Along the Watchtower" was just the best. Metallica was badass too. Read about my 2008 experience HERE.



2011:
Henson Alternative's 'Stuffed & Unstrung'
My first time in the comedy tent was a brilliant experience watching Brian Henson, son of the late great Jim. It was a muppet show, to be sure, but it was also an improv show as they used audience suggestions to develop each story. And better still, it was an R-rated performance so the muppets were, more often than not, naughty (and funny) as hell.
Read about my 2011 experience HERE.



2013:
Paul McCartney
If I were forced to pick ONE favorite show, it would have to be Sir Paul's set. The What stage was completely full. And singing "Hey Jude" with the rest of Bonnaroo was gorgeous and surreal and now I get goosebumps when I hear it on the radio. Just an incredible moment that will live with me forever. Read about my 2013 experience HERE.



2014:
Jack White
I caught his sets with The Raconteurs and The Dead Weather at prior Bonnaroos and they were great. But this set, in 2014, was a roaring tribute to the rock gods and Jack delivered. "I've got nothing better to do than rock and roll. Are you ok?" he yells.  Download or watch his closing song of "Seven Nation Army" because it's badass.  His live show is everything a rock and roll act should be - go see him if he comes to town. Read about my 2014 experience HERE.


* * *

There you have it. Five amazing shows.

But really, there have been so many unforgettable acts like ... Radiohead, Stevie Wonder, Jay-Z, Metallica, Elton John, Tom Petty, Levon Helm, Gov't Mule, Eminem, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Lionel Richie (yeah, I was surprised too), Bob Saget, The Improvised Shakespeare, Alt-J, David Byrne & St Vincent, Ice Cube, John Butler Trio, Portugal The Man, Phantogram, Alabama Shakes, Puscifer, Mogwai, The Roots, Florence + the Machine, Arcade Fire, Bruce Hornsby, Gregg Allman, Cold War Kids, Robert Plant, Steve Martin, Imelda May and on and on with so many more.

But hey! It's a delicious problem to have, to ponder the artists I've experienced on hot Tennessee days and nights. And as the next Bonnaroo looms around the corner, I'm excited to add more to the list. :)




Life is short, campers! Follow your dreams!